PayPal Checkout with Smart Payment Buttons allows consumers to choose which payment method they want to use – and now it’s available in Europe. It displays the best payment methods at checkout, like PayPal, Venmo and PayPal Credit, but also shows local alternative payment methods.
Local Alternative Payment
Ecommercenews.eu reported that, basically, PayPal Smart Payment displays which payment methods are available in the region (country). In Belgium, Bancontact will be shown; in Italy, there’s MyBank. In the Netherlands, local customers can choose iDeal, whilst in Germany and Austria, customers can choose Giropay and EPS respectively. These are in addition to PayPal's payment method.
For those companies that sell cross-border in the above markets in Europe, relevant local wallets are now possible. These wallets can be presented in different ways, based on the customer’s location.
Straight From PayPal
The following information comes straight from paypal.com:
With Smart Payment Buttons, you can choose:
- The size, color, and shape of not just your PayPal checkout button, but also buttons for other, multiple alternative payment methods such as PayPal Credit, Venmo, and local funding sources.
- The language that appears on the buttons (determined by one of 23 locales you can select).
- The button layout you prefer: horizontal or vertical.
Based on your specific configuration and a buyer's location and cookies, Checkout dynamically presents the appropriate funding sources to provide more ways to pay.
- Smart Payment Buttons are available for the PayPal Credit second button.
- All checkout experiences via Smart Payment Buttons are in-context.
- Smart Payment Buttons are available via Braintree through the PayPal Checkout Component.
PayPal has also said it expects to roll out extra local payment methods in the near future.